This is a family favorite. It is so easy and quick. Unlike a lot of soups who take hours for flavors to develop, this is a quick jaunt from pot to bowl. You can top it with chicken, tofu, or shredded beef.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 med onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 c flour
- 28 oz can of whole tomatoes or 3 pints of your canned tomatoes or 4 1/2 cups peeled cored chopped fresh tomatoes
- 16 oz vegetable/chicken broth
- 1 tbs Italian herbs or 6 leaves fresh chopped basil
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat olive oil in pan and add carrot, onion and garlic.Saute until onion is tender. Add flour and stir till veggies are coated. The little bit of flour helps to cut the acidity a bit and make the soup thicker.
Add tomatoes, stir and heat through. Add broth and spices. break up tomatoes and simmer covered, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
Puree soup in small batches in blender or with immersion blender in the pan. Add cream, heat through and serve.
- If it is still too tart I add 1 tsp brown sugar/honey/agave nectar.
- Add 1/4 c Parmesan with cream for a spin.
- add minced sun dried tomatoes with herbs for a little kick.
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes really makes it zippy.