Friday, October 4, 2013
I've been looking for a recipe that would satisfy my love for toast. This is it. No flour, no bake, but you can bake it if you like. I use my dehydrator for this moist, spongy bread. Pop it in the toaster and slather with butter, homemade jam or any spread you choose. It has a low glycemic index level, so it's great for diabetics and it's gluten free. Best of all it satisfies my need for bread with long lasting results and no sugar crash!
- 2 c almond flour
- 1 c psyllium husks
- 2 tbs chia optional
- 1c ground flax
- 1 tbs Ashwaghanda powder
- 1 very large onion (pick the flavor you like best)
- 2 lrg cloves garlic optional
- 3 tbs coconut oil or olive oil (I use a basil olive oil)
- 2/3 c water
- 2 tsp salt (you can use flavored salts if you want to get tricky)
- Add some herbs if you like!
- In a large bowl combine flour, husks, chia, flax, and ashwaghanda.
- In Vitamix or food processor add remaining ingredients and mix until it's a nice slurry.
- Add wet ingredients to dry. Mix with a spatula to wet the ingredients.
- In your bowl turn the ingredients together with your hands to form a ball.
- You can at this point go two ways.
- Make into thee small loaves that are baguette shaped. This gets you more of the crisp crust and snack sized pieces.
- Make into 1 large round or store-bought-bread-shaped loaf. I do the round as I like to slice big pieces that fit in the toaster and come up high enough for me to grab!
6. Place on lowest rack in dehydrator. Start at 145 for 1 hour then drop to 105 for 3-5 hours, until you achieve a nice "crisp" crust.
Store this wondrous treat in the refrigerator to void spoiling. I use it over the week. Slice and eat with your favorite spread or toast and eat. Really this is a great bread!