Logo

Logo

Friday, October 4, 2013

Best Raw Bread EVER!

I've been looking for a recipe that would satisfy my love for toast.  This is it.  No flour, no bake, but you can bake it if you like.  I use my dehydrator for this moist, spongy bread.  Pop it in the toaster and slather with butter, homemade jam or any spread you choose.  It has a low glycemic index level, so it's great for diabetics and it's gluten free.  Best of all it satisfies my need for bread with long lasting results and no sugar crash!


Ingredients

  • 2 c almond flour
  • 1 c psyllium husks
  • 2 tbs chia optional
  • 1c ground flax
  • 1 tbs Ashwaghanda powder
  • 1 very large onion (pick the flavor you like best)
  • 2 lrg cloves garlic optional
  • 3 tbs coconut oil or olive oil (I use a basil olive oil)
  • 2/3 c water
  • 2 tsp salt (you can use flavored salts if you want to get tricky)
  • Add some herbs if you like!
Directions
  1. In a large bowl combine flour, husks, chia, flax, and ashwaghanda.
  2. In Vitamix or food processor add remaining ingredients and mix until it's a nice slurry.
  3. Add wet ingredients to dry.  Mix with a spatula to wet the ingredients.
  4. In your bowl turn the ingredients together with your hands to form a ball.
  5. You can at this point go two ways.  
  • Make into thee small loaves that are baguette shaped. This gets you more of the crisp crust and snack sized pieces.
  • Make into 1 large round or store-bought-bread-shaped loaf.  I do the round as I like to slice big pieces that fit in the toaster and come up high enough for me to grab!
     6. Place on lowest rack in dehydrator.  Start at 145 for 1 hour then drop to 105 for 3-5 hours, until you achieve a nice "crisp" crust.

Store this wondrous treat in the refrigerator to void spoiling.  I use it over the week. Slice and eat with your favorite spread or toast and eat.  Really this is a great bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment