This is one of my all time favorite soups, especially in winter. With its apricot nectar it really is a sweet treat. I love quinoa and squash. While most soups take a few hours to develop this is done in an hour from prep to table. I suggest serving with a savory bread or dehydrated crackers. Use any squash you like; Delicata for a less sweet outcome and butternut for sweetness. In Summer I add summer squashes and in winter I add greens.
- 1/3 c finely chopped shallot or onion
- 2 tsp oil of choice
- 32 oz broth
- 1 can apricot nectar
- 1 lb winter squash peeled, seeded and cubed
- 3/4 c rinsed quinoa
- 1 tsp cumin
- large handful of chopped greens or 2 little zucchinis cubed (optional)
- In medium saucepan cook onion in oil until soft (stir frequently).
- Add squash, cumin, broth, quinoa and nectar. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 5 minutes.
- Add greens or zucchini and simmer for another 10 minutes covered or just simmer additional time to develop flavors and cook quinoa.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve!